They say only the strong survive. If that’s true then a dog named Marshmellow is among the strongest. He survived the dangerous wildfires that recently ravaged through Greece leaving ash and rubble in its wake while claiming dozens of lives Animal rescuers were combing the village of Mati in the aftermath of the fires while the ground was still smoldering.
Animal rescue volunteer Artemis Kyriakopoulou was searching the shell of a burned out home and noticed that the home’s oven was still standing. Something told her to take a look inside. “I didn’t hear anything,” Kyriakopoulou told The Dodo. “I was so scared to look inside cause I knew I was going to find something in there but I didn’t know if it was dead or alive.”
What she found ended up being a dog who was barely alive. “His whole body and coat was burned and he was in intense pain,” Kyriakopoulou said. “It was really hard seeing him in a situation like this. I started crying just like the other volunteers. Of course, I thanked God for giving him one more chance because he was really lucky I found him. It was by accident actually.”
The dog was terrified and hesitant to go with her but eventually, she was able to gain the dog’s trust. Kyriakopoulou knew the dog, who she named Marshmallow, needed immediate medical attention. She rushed Marshmallow to the vet who thought that Marshmallow was a stray or neglected because of his overgrown coat. You’d think that this dog was grey by looking at his before pictures but he’s actually white.