To escape a burning house, a dog leaps out a window

Cats are said to have “nine lives” because they can always land on their feet.
However, the same can be said of one dog, who bravely escaped from a burning house by leaping out a window on the second floor.

According to NBC Philadelphia, a man named Justin Steinmetz was driving to work when he noticed a smoke-filled house in Fleetwood, Berks County.
The house was empty — the adults were at work, and the children were at school — and Justin desperately tried to get help.

He got another driver to call 911 and began attempting to put out the fire with a hose, but to no avail.
Firefighters arrived quickly to put out the flames.

However, the situation changed dramatically when the family’s dog, Charlie, appeared in the home’s second-story window, desperately trying to escape.

Charlie was coerced into jumping out the window, the only way to safety, by the firefighters.
The dog takes a daring leap in a dramatic moment captured on video by Justin.
Despite being charred by the fire, he made it out alive.

“He had smoke in his mouth and lungs, and he jumped to safety,” Justin told NBC.
“What matters is that he jumped when he needed to.”

The family’s other dog and two cats were also discovered on the scene after escaping from the house.

While the pets were saved, the homeowners, known as the Stump family, “lost everything” in the fire.
After losing their home, they launched a GoFundMe campaign to help them get back on their feet.
“We are grateful they are safe, but are painfully aware that the devastating fire to their home today will have a significant impact on their lives,” the site says.
The family has received $40,000 from the fundraising page.

But Justin, who owns a farm and says he will lend the family some baby goats for “goat therapy,” says the pets’ survival is a major plus.

“The fact that the animals survived is the most important thing,” he told NBC.

What an exciting escape from this burning house!
We’re relieved Charlie is safe, and we’re sending our thoughts and prayers to this family as they recover from this devastating fire.

Please share this story!