A pony that was badly burned in an acid attack has been named rescue animal of the year.
Cinders was eight months old when she was discovered wandering in pain in Chesterfield, with horrific burns on her face that prevented her from opening her eyes.
She was treated at Rainbow Equine Hospital in Malton, North Yorkshire, and underwent pioneering surgery in Wakefield using fish skin.
“She so deserves this award,” her new owner said. She is a true hero and a treasured member of our family.”
Cinders was named the 2020 Daily Mirror Animal Hero Awards rescue animal of the year.
“I don’t know how anyone could have done something so awful to such a trusting and gentle little creature,” her owner, who wishes to remain anonymous, said.
Cinders’ story went viral, and donations from well-wishers to aid her recovery poured in.
Jamie Peyton, who had developed a method of treating animals burned in wildfires with fish skin grafts, flew in from California to perform the surgery in May 2018. Cinders’ wounds were treated by a team of vets and a plastic surgeon from the burns unit at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield.
They cleaned them before applying a dressing made from tilapia fish skin to Cinders’ face to promote the growth of new tissue.
This, as well as her ongoing treatment, was made possible by donations totaling more than £17,000.