Horse returns to owner 8 years after joining herd of wild mustangs on a whim

Shane’s life began to spiral after losing Mongo, but after 8 years, Mongo reappeared when he was most needed.
Shane Adams lost his beloved horse, Mongo, eight years ago.He did not perish.He fled with a herd of mustangs.Shane was on a camping trip in the West Desert, two hours outside of Salt Lake City, on March 31, 2014.He was already sleeping in his tent when he was awakened early in the morning by a commotion outside.

He came across Mongo, his quarter and half-Percheron-bred horse, attempting to flee and chase after a herd of mustangs.Shane attempted to pursue him.But how can a human on foot keep up with a horse on the move?He did his best, however, and only stopped when he was caught in a snowstorm.Shane, on the other hand, was unconcerned.”I expected him to return right away.That was his mindset; he never went very far.”I didn’t think he’d ever leave,” Shane said.

But Mongo did not return.Shane spent the next three years looking for Mongo.He spread the word that Mongo was missing.He contacted the local brand inspector and the Bureau of Land Management in Utah for assistance.In addition, he and his father, Scott, spent every weekend looking for Mongo.

But after three years of not finding even a speck of information about Mongo’s whereabouts, he did what had to be done.Shane abandoned his search.It had been three years, and Mongo might have died.That could be why they couldn’t find him.Shane returned to his previous job as a foreman for a large construction firm.This job demanded that he be present and active at work, leaving him with little time to continue his search for Mongo.”You can’t run a $100-million-dollar business and be gone for two days a week chasing wild mustangs,” Shane added.

Shane has been dealing with one problem after another since Mongo went missing.He was involved in a life-threatening car accident that resulted in a brain injury.He got divorced and also lost his home.Scott, his father, died as well.Life had been extremely difficult for him.But things were about to change for the better.Shane received a Facebook message from a BLM Utah employee in September 2022.Mongo had been discovered!What?But how exactly?Shane could hardly believe Mongo was still alive.”Mongo was brought in on the final day of gathering on Dugway Proving Ground — a high-security location in Utah — after BLM Utah was granted permission to extend their gather due to an excess of horses,” Lisa Reid, public affairs specialist at BLM Utah, explained.

They noticed a horse that was different from the others.The horse did not flee or fight like the other horses.He had all the characteristics of a domesticated horse.Their horse expert thought it was Mongo.It was Mongo, they were correct.When the local brand inspector discovered Mongo’s brand on his left shoulder, they knew.

They quickly contacted Shane, and Shane drove four hours to pick up his best friend.Mongo has changed physically.For one thing, he’d lost 400 pounds, but Shane recognized him right away when he saw the horse.And the best part is that Mongo never forgot what Shane taught him.

Shane was overjoyed at the prospect of their reunion.He stated that this was the first good thing that had happened to him in the last two years.Shane can’t wait to introduce Mongo to his children and feed him his favorite treat, Sour Patch Kids.